This course actively engages you in a variety of genres of dance through a process designed to develop you as an effective and independent learner and as a critical and reflective thinker, with enquiring minds in all areas of your studies.
The course also develops a critical appreciation of Dance in its physical, artistic, aesthetic and cultural contexts whilst improving your resilience and confidence. You will be able to experience this within the high-spec dance studio as well as having opportunities to work with professional companies and choreographers.
What do I need to know?
Exam board: We study AQA Dance.
Entry Requirements: As well as the standard Sixth Form requirements, you must also have grade 5 in GCSE Dance or the equivalent Dance exams/experience.
Key Content: The course develops your skills, knowledge and understanding of a range of dance styles and areas of dance. Through development of physical, technical and expressive skills, you will be able to communicate choreographic intention and develop your individual qualities as performers.
What is the work like?
As an example of the kind of work that you will cover during the A-Level course, please find to the right the pre-A-Level material that we asked Year 11 to complete before starting their Dance course with us in September 2020.
Who do I contact if I have any questions?
Miss Blackmore will be happy to answer any questions that you might have. You are welcome to email her on firstname.lastname@example.org.
To ask a Dance student more about the course, please email email@example.com and they will be happy to help you.
Assessment is 50% Practical, 50% Written Appreciation.
Component 1: Performance and choreography. Practical exam, 80 marks: 50% of A-Level
- Solo performance linked to a specific practitioner within an area of study.
- Performance in a quartet (in any style, relevant to the defined genres set by the exam board).
- Group choreography (students choose 1 question from a selection set by the exam board).
Component 2: Critical engagement. Written exam of 2.5 hours, 100 marks: 50% of A-Level
- Knowledge, understanding and critical appreciation of a compulsory set work and its location within a corresponding area of study. This will be Rooster by Christopher Bruce for the lifetime of the course.
- Knowledge and understanding and critical appreciation of Rambert Dance Company and two named practitioners associated with the development of the company from a prescribed list.
- Knowledge, understanding and critical appreciation of one optional set work and its location within a corresponding area of study. In this case, you will study Sutra, choreographed by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, and its corresponding area of the independent contemporary dance scene.
In addition to Rock Challenge, Dance Showcase at Pavillion Dance, Dance Club, Opportunities at Pavillion Dance South West and resident choreographers, the school musical and subsidised contemporary classes with fuZe8 contemporary dance company, please see the Pavillion Dance South West section below.
We provide: In class access to:-
All related resources, power points, accompaniment resources, video and film resources.
Other costs: To be met by students
There are none for this course.
Pavillion Dance South West Associate School
Twynham School is an associate school of Pavilion Dance South West. Pavilion Dance South West is the National Dance Development Organisation for the South West of England, supporting regional dance strategy development and representing the South West Dance sector nationally. They work collaboratively with partners across the South West who share a commitment to develop and sustain opportunities for people in the region to make, present, watch and participate in dance. Twynham has been given the opportunity to work with the company and have an exciting association with the dance industry. Our association offers dance students:
- Free tickets for students to professional performances
- Q and A sessions with artists (pre- or post-performance)
- Workshops with visiting professional dance companies
- Curtain raiser performances
- Residencies with visiting companies
- Youth dance platform entry
- Work experience for those wanting to follow a career in dance or theatre
- Networking with top industry professionals